Health Care Scholarship
Shoreline Recovery is committed to providing the best possible treatment for alcohol and drug addiction, and for the first time, will be extending its commitment to substance abuse recovery by offering a scholarship to further the education and personal development of students who share their passion.
Shoreline Recovery will offer a $1,000 scholarship to students who pursue a healthcare related course of study in an accredited college or University in the United States. The scholarship will be awarded to the student who best describes their passion about their field of study and how it relates to substance use disorder and mental health treatment.
Students have to submit a short essay with no more than 500 words. The essay should explain their field of healthcare or medical related study, the reason why they chose the field, and how or why substance abuse disorder and mental health treatment has influenced their decision pursue their studies. Essays may be written from the perspective of personal experience or a focus on their choice to pursue medical-related studies that have an emphasis on behavioral or mental health treatment.
Have you witnessed or experienced directly or indirectly the struggles that come with substance abuse, addiction, or mental disorder? Do you have an inspirational recovery story? Have you helped someone overcome substance abuse or been instrumental in their recovery? Share your experience and write about how and why these experiences have pushed you to enter the healthcare field and get a chance to win a $1,000 scholarship.
A $1,000 award will be given to a student (entering college or currently enrolled) pursuing a healthcare related degree program in the United States. Areas of study that will be considered may include: counseling, social work, pre-med (with the intention to enter a program in emergency medicine, psychiatry, or other addiction or substance-abuse related specialty), nursing, and psychology. Other areas of health-related study will be considered, with an explanation of how it relates to addiction, substance abuse, or mental health treatment.
Applicants must submit an essay of no more than 500 words, describing their experience or passion for substance abuse or mental health treatment, and how it has influenced their studies and their aspirations for a career in the healthcare field. Essays can draw from personal, or if applicable, professional experience.
- Amount: $1,000
- Deadline: August 1, 2020
- One-time award
Eligibility & Requirements
In order to be eligible, students must meet the following criteria:
- At least 18 years old
- U.S. citizen or permanent U.S. resident
- Enrolled or accepted in an accredited college or university and plan to continue enrollment
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- Consent to a talent release and be willing to provide a digital photograph and quote for display on Shoreline Recovery websites if chosen as the winner
- Graduating high school seniors who meet the above criteria are encouraged to apply
Selection & Awards
Award selection will be based upon:
- Completed application
- Clearly describe an experience or story (direct or indirect) concerning substance abuse or mental health treatment (20%)
- Ability to articulate thoughts and ideas with creativity (20%)
- Ability to present a story that inspires, and spreads optimism and hope (20%)
- Ability to present written work with proper spelling and grammar (20%)
- Demonstrated interest in addiction treatment and recovery (20%)
The winner will be notified following the deadline and the award will be sent to the winner directly.
Student must be provide details about the college or university to Shoreline Recovery in order for the school to receive the funds.